Friday, August 1, 2008

Hangovers and Hunger

     I'm always a little jealous of my friends who say they can't eat when they're hungover. One of the symptoms of a hangover is aversion to food, but I only have that particular symptom in the morning. I'm always ravenously hungry later in the day, no matter how many alcohol calories I consumed the night before.
     So it made me feel a little better when I found out I'm not alone. Apparently, one effect of alcohol consumption is low blood sugar, which explains why I crave refined carbohydrates the next day, like chips and bread.
      The problem is that eating these fast carbs skyrockets your blood sugar levels, only to be followed by an inevitable crash, and more food cravings. It's a vicious cycle.
      It's best to eat foods that are known for regulating your blood sugar. In fact, a whole-grain breakfast can help regulate your blood sugar for up to ten hours, according to this study
     While you might be craving bagels, doughnuts, or fries (high-glycemic index foods that spike your blood sugar), it is especially important to consume low-GI foods when suffering from a hangover.(Read about GI)
     Some examples include fruit such as pears, apples, and oranges, or oatmeal, peanuts, beans, peas, and granola.
     Drinking water and exercise also helps regulate your blood sugar

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Thanks for the info! I googled "hunger from hangover" and your post answered my question. I am currently hungover and craving a burger and fries. Instead, I had a bowl of oatmeal. According to your article, I had the right idea!